NemaStudio Version 1.7
Optimized thread handling
A lot of work has gone into optimizing the thread handling of the serial IO handlers. This optimization solves the apparent freezing of the User Interface in situations where too much data was multiplexed over a port with too little bandwidth, mostly this occurs with 4800 bps connections.
I have also introduced a cache that is buffering the sentences before they are transmitted to the selected ports. This is made visible on the status bar on the bottom of the main Window.
You can easily follow port buffer overruns captured in the cache since from now on the status bar shows the number of sentences in the cache still to be sent. When you see this number increase you know that you have a situation as described before.
Balance the output!
There are a number of options available in NemaStudio to avoid this situation and to balance the output:
- Increase the baud rate of some or all transmitting instruments
- Use different serial ports for some instruments
- Lower the frequency the sentences are sent (interval timer)
- Limit the number of instruments transmitting simultaneously
- Limit the number of different sentences per instrument
- Set the output of some or all instruments to UDP instead of a serial port
- Use the ‘Stop All’ button to temporarily suspend the output until the buffers are emptied
- A smart combination of some or all of these
New Start All, Stop All and Close All toolbar buttons
3 New buttons are introduced on the toolbar to facilitate simultaneous starting, stopping and closing of all tabbed objects (see image above).
A few bugs were corrected, with the most important the Special Manoeuvre Indicator not showing in the AIS message type 1.
Work to do
I still need to upgrade the help file to the current version. I am also considering an ‘Automatic Check For Updates’ function in NemaStudio, but that would require a ‘Call Home’ over the internet each time NemaStudio is started and I am aware that some users are not in favor of that. I have asked all NemaStudio users for an opinion, and will base my decision on the result.